The Grand's OldTimer Rally, Bank Holiday Monday 26th August
- Although entries have now closed for this year’s rally, we can accept those who turn up on the day with appropriate vehicles. The classes may be seen from previous programmes, which are accessible from the links below.
- Access is from 9.30am via Metropole Road East – which runs from Sandgate Road between The Grand – CT20 2XL – and The Metropole, both vast buildings standing on The Leas overlooking the sea.
- A site plan is also included in the previous programmes, which is to be replicated this year. The administrative headquarters is on The Grand’s Palm Court steps, shown as HQ on the plan – inside the Palm Court if wet – with marshals by the ‘Car Way In’ during the arrival period.
- Commentary and the Prizegiving is also from The Grand’s Palm Court steps.
- Good weather is forecast this year – we look forward to seeing you here!
Club meetings are 7pm on the second Wednesday of the month at The Grand. The Next meeting is Wednesday 11th September
- Apart from meeting monthly to discuss oldtimer issues of common interest, an established objective is to attend rallies within striking distance of Folkestone as a group, where appropriate meeting beforehand and travelling together.
- Click here to see the list of rallies for which group visits have been arranged for this year.
- At each monthly meeting arrangements are put in hand for the forthcoming month.
- Club secretary Roy Stenning is co-ordinating detailed arrangements for those who would like to travel in a group. His landline no is 01 797 320 448, his mobile 07925 198 129; for his email click here.
- If you have any queries, please click here to email us.
We were in luck again for our 2018 annual rally – it was wet and windy the day before and drizzly the day after, but on the day it was warm but overcast with no more than a light breeze which proved to be a perfect combination.
We had rather more cars entered this year than hitherto, and at 3pm The Grand’s manager counted 432 vehicles on site. Our marshalling, assisted by the Folkestone Rotary Club, worked better than ever, and because of the turnout extended to an extra eight lanes on The Leas. You’ll see from the prizewinners’ list that there were a number of exceptional cars present; a non prizewinner was an early 60s Mini Estate that undoubtedly looked better than the day it left the factory, and another of late 90s vintage with little mileage which looked exactly as it left the factory. To see the rally programme containing the list of entrants, click here, and for the prizewinners click here.
This year we had a very much better loudspeaker system with roving mikes, Paul Mill who does the Darling Buds commentar,y volunteered his services, so did a roving commentary prior to the prizegiving. Next year we’re thinking of reinstating the parade we used to have years ago perhaps utilising the circular flowerbed as a focal point, although any ideas for improvements would be most welcome.
For a rally entry form for 2019 to download and print, click here.
Those not on the internet can obtain a paper entry form by sending a Stamped Addressed Envelope to the Secretary, Eileen Watling, Lynsted Cottage, Farthing Common, Lyminge CT18 8DH.
If you are not already registered for periodic email updates, please click here.