The Grand's next OldTimer Rally -
Bank Holiday Monday 30th August 2021
August Bank Holiday
Monday 31 August 2020
- Access was from 9.30am via Metropole Road East – which runs from Sandgate Road between The Grand – CT20 2XL – and The Metropole, both vast buildings standing on The Leas overlooking the sea.
- Although a site plan was shown in previous programmes, this year the allocation of car spaces was varied as shown in the leaflets handed out on arrival. The administrative headquarters, as in previous years, was on The Grand’s Palm Court steps, shown as HQ on the the plan on the rear of the arrival leaflet; marshals by the ‘Car Way In’ directed all entrants during the arrival period.
- Commentary and the Prizegiving was also from The Grand’s Palm Court steps by our enthusiast TV presenter Paul Mill who brought his magnificent Austin Healey 3000. For a list of this year’s winners and runners up, click on the link directly over the pictures above.
- ** To request a hard copy entry form for next year please send a Stamped Addressed Envelope to the club secretary, Eileen Watling, Lynsted Cottage, Farthing Common, Lyminge CT18 8DH. If prospective entrants arrive without an entry number, they will be diverted to a separate lane for completion of the necessary paperwork to satisfy regulatory requirements, but will not be eligible for judging.
- For periodic email updates, please click here to join The Grand Oldtimer Car Club, which meets on the second Thursday of each month at The Grand.
- Click here for 2020 meeting dates – the corona virus suspension was lifted for Folkestone!
- Apart from meeting monthly to discuss oldtimer issues of common interest, an established objective is to attend rallies within striking distance of Folkestone as a group, where appropriate meeting beforehand and travelling together.
- Click here to see the list of rallies for which group visits had been arranged for this year, updated for coronavirus cancellations – ie. all except ours and Capel the following week..
- At each monthly meeting arrangements are put in hand for the forthcoming month.
- If you have any queries, please click here to email, or contact the club secretary, Eileen Watling – telephone 01 303 863 509.
Join The Grand Oldtimer Car Club
A bit of history
‘Oldtimer’ is the modern Continental English for ‘classic car’. Car rallies have been held here at least since 1896 (just before the first London-Brighton run); the first one marque car rally ever was held here in 1933, for Rileys (one of the Riley brothers lived locally); in 1964 there were more Rolls-Royces per head of population in Folkestone than any other town in the world, and in the 70s the rally became established as the Rolls-Royce Parade. In the 80s & 90s it became part of the local authority sponsored Airshow, which was resurected as an RAF Centenary ‘fly by’ on 22nd July 2018 with an informal Club rally in front of The Grand.
Should it rain, The Grand’s Palm Court, a glazed terrace overlooking the rally site, couldn’t be a finer retreat, and was certainly put to the test for 2014 & 2015.
Refreshments and meals are readily available there and in the adjacent accommodation which also contains rooms and apartments for those who wish to make more than a day’s outing for the annual occasion.